Friday, November 30, 2007

A Tough Chore

I have to admit -- it was difficult determining exactly which pieces of information to include in my report about the hybrid catfish. If you haven't heard it yet, you can find it here.

There are significant scientific aspects to this story -- the production process of the hybrid; how the eggs are fertilized; how the fish exhibits the traits of its parents, the blue catfish and the channel catfish; and how the fish behaves.

There are also huge economic interests to consider -- the business plan of the company that sells the hybrid to farmers; the farmers who pay more to get it but spend less on food for it; and the continuing importation of cheaper seafood products from Asia.

I had a hard time squeezing this story into four-and-a-half minutes, but I hope I provided you with the right -- and right amount -- of information on this topic. It's fascinating, and it was a lot of fun working on it.

Butler

No comments: